week 1 thoughts

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
Jimbo23

Re: week 1 thoughts

Post by Jimbo23 »

paintballer wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2024 5:10 pm
If you did not watch the Morton Portage game last year then this years would be a lot more surprising.

Portage dominated Morton last year as well but the second half they finished their drives instead of having two defensive touchdowns by Morton completely flip the script. 32-23 minus 14 for Morton and plus 14 for Portage is 37-18. Virtually the same game with two plays that made a drastic difference.

Morton had over 300 yards rushing last year and the same happened this year. Defensively they stuffed Morton this year but gave up one play TDs and the same thing occurred last year. All 3 of Mortons TDs last year came on fades to Lebron or their other WR who graduated.
My "surprise" is more of the fact that Morton SHOULD have been able to play a better game this time around based on their returners up front and in the skill positions. Portage did take care of business last year but unfortunately "the ball didn't bounce their way" that night. Last Friday though, the Indians had no bounces to worry about because as you said, they FINISHED.

paintballer

Re: week 1 thoughts

Post by paintballer »

Jimbo23 wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2024 5:15 pm
paintballer wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2024 5:10 pm
If you did not watch the Morton Portage game last year then this years would be a lot more surprising.

Portage dominated Morton last year as well but the second half they finished their drives instead of having two defensive touchdowns by Morton completely flip the script. 32-23 minus 14 for Morton and plus 14 for Portage is 37-18. Virtually the same game with two plays that made a drastic difference.

Morton had over 300 yards rushing last year and the same happened this year. Defensively they stuffed Morton this year but gave up one play TDs and the same thing occurred last year. All 3 of Mortons TDs last year came on fades to Lebron or their other WR who graduated.
My "surprise" is more of the fact that Morton SHOULD have been able to play a better game this time around based on their returners up front and in the skill positions. Portage did take care of business last year but unfortunately "the ball didn't bounce their way" that night. Last Friday though, the Indians had no bounces to worry about because as you said, they FINISHED.
That was my surprise as well. I thought with the returning starters on the line they would show more improvement than they did. One of the biggest surprises was the impact the speed of Dontell Harris had on last years game. Missing his speed was crucial.