Week 7 power rankings and predictions

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
DACfanatic

Week 7 power rankings and predictions

Post by DACfanatic »

My Week 7 DAC POWER RANKINGS AND PREDICTIONS!

Power rankings
1. crown point 6-0
2. Merrillville 5-1
3. Valpo 4-2
4. Chesterton 4-2
5. Michigan city 2-4
6. Lake central 3-3
7. Portage 2-4
8. Laporte 0-6

Week 7 schedule and predictions

Chesterton @ lake central:

Chesterton enters this game with a tight win over rival portage 10-6 Friday night. While lake central enters this matchup off a loss to Michigan city 20-14! Both of these teams have shown flashes of potential but haven’t been able to put it all together. Chesterton lost there starting QB a few weeks back to a knee injury and hasn’t been the same team since. Lake central on the other hand seems to struggle for most of every game and then have 1 qtr that they show up. With Lake central still finding there way and there non ability to stop the run. I think Chesterton wins this game comfortably!!

Chesterton 21-10

Crown point @ Laporte:

I’m just gonna make this short and simple. Laporte is 0-6. Crown point is 6-0. Teams on opposite ends of spectrum and have completely different goals in mind. Sorry for the long season Laporte.

Crown point 56-0

Michigan city @ portage:

Michigan city comes in off a tight win over the lake central Indians and portage comes in off a loss to Chesterton. There are many reasons both teams could win this game. Portage offense is consistent but there defense is inconsistent. Michigan city has a consistent defense but there offense is inconsistent. I this game has potential to be a tight one all the way through. Can Michigan city get momentum heading toward playoffs even with a matchup with the big bad bulldogs looking in 2 weeks? or can portage get the win at the warpath?
I’m gonna go with portage to pull what would be a small upset as I trust Roy Richard to get something revenge against Michigan city!

21-20 portage

DAC GAME OF WEEK:

Valparaiso @ merrillville:

Last meeting: merrillville 24-20 (regional championship 2023)

Merrillville enters this game off a win over Laporte where they finally showcased some of there passing game that the fans have been waiting for all season. Valpo enters this game off a blowout loss to crown point where they couldn’t gain any traction at all in the game. Comparing these two teams on paper there is a wide margin of differences.

Common opponents so far

Andrean:
V:28-21 W
M: 27-0 W

Laporte:
V: 42-7 W
M: 35-0 W

Michigan city:
V: 20-14 W
M:14-12 W

Crown point:
V: 41-7 L
M: 46-14 L

As you can see all the coming opponents besides Andrean have been similar.

Valpo has scored more points in the season at 161 to the pirates 152.. but the defense is where there is a major difference.

Valpo has given up 153 points on defense which makes them the 2nd worst defense in the conference. While merrillville has given up 71 points on the season which has them 2nd in conference behind crown point (68) crazy how close that is when crown point put 40+ on merrillville…

These games are always tight between the Vikes and pirates but something tells me this matchup will be a little different. I still don’t think this is a good Viking team. Fools gold if you ask me. Merrillville defense will shut down the run as they have all season and force the Vikings to pass into a defense that is 3rd in the state in INTs. Could be a long night for Vikings.

Merrillville wins this one comfortably. And confirms 2nd place in duneland

35-17

Jimbo23

Re: Week 7 power rankings and predictions

Post by Jimbo23 »

DAC Power Rankings
1. Crown Point 6-0 (4-0)
2. Valpo 4-2 (3-1)
3. Merrillville 5-1 (3-1)
4. Michigan City 2-4 (2-2)
5. Chesterton 4-2 (2-2)
6. Lake Central 3-3 (2-2)
7. Portage 2-4 (0-4)
8. LaPorte 0-6 (0-4)

DAC Week 7 Predictions
Chesterton 17 Lake Central 13
Crown Point 55 LaPorte 0
Michigan City 24 Portage 17
Valparaiso 21 Merrillville 17

Last Week Predictions
Merrillville 42 LaPorte 3 - Poor LaPorte. Merrillville did what nearly everyone is doing to LaPorte.
Michigan City 24 Lake Central 17 - Michigan City won it by a touchdown but seemed to be in total control until late in the ball game. I'm sure coach French and the boys are happy to be back in the win column.
Crown Point 38 Valpo 24 - Crown Point just keeps on impressing. Beating two of the top 5A teams in the state as badly as they did is impressive. Excited to see what they can do come November. Valpo will look to bounce back in a big game vs Merrillville this week.
Portage 27 Chesterton 13 - Much lower scoring and the Trojans came out on top, handing me my 4th Duneland "loss" of the year.

Jimbo's DAC Record: 28-4

DACfanatic

Post by DACfanatic »

Jimbo23 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2024 12:31 pm
DAC Power Rankings
1. Crown Point 6-0 (4-0)
2. Valpo 4-2 (3-1)
5. Chesterton 4-2 (2-2)
7. Portage 2-4 (0-4)
8. LaPorte 0-6 (0-4)

DAC Week 7 Predictions
Crown Point 55 LaPorte 0

Last Week Predictions
Merrillville 42 LaPorte 3 - Poor LaPorte. Merrillville did what nearly everyone is doing to LaPorte.
Michigan City 24 Lake Central 17 - Michigan City won it by a touchdown but seemed to be in total control until late in the ball game. I'm sure coach French and the boys are happy to be back in the win column.
Crown Point 38 Valpo 24 - Crown Point just keeps on impressing. Beating two of the top 5A teams in the state as badly as they did is impressive. Excited to see what they can do come November. Valpo will look to bounce back in a big game vs Merrillville this week.
Portage 27 Chesterton 13 - Much lower scoring and the Trojans came out on top, handing me my 4th Duneland "loss" of the year.

So not to disagree. But what makes you think Valpo over merrillville? It just seems everything on paper favors merrillville? Plus it’s homecoming? Merrillville should be able to shut down Valpo rush like they have done to everyone so far this year? And they are finally getting there starting WRs back after 3 weeks so they start throwing the ball more.

I think Valpo is gonna have to throw 25+ times to have a chance to win

From the Stands

Post by From the Stands »

DACfanatic wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2024 3:14 am
Jimbo23 wrote:
DAC Power Rankings
1. Crown Point 6-0 (4-0)
2. Valpo 4-2 (3-1)
5. Chesterton 4-2 (2-2)
7. Portage 2-4 (0-4)
8. LaPorte 0-6 (0-4)

DAC Week 7 Predictions
Crown Point 55 LaPorte 0

Last Week Predictions

So not to disagree. But what makes you think Valpo over merrillville? It just seems everything on paper favors merrillville? Plus it’s homecoming? Merrillville should be able to shut down Valpo rush like they have done to everyone so far this year? And they are finally getting there starting WRs back after 3 weeks so they start throwing the ball more.

I don’t know if the WRs are the issue. They had plenty of guys open that they just didn’t hit in recent games.
I would put Burda as the #2 back in the conference behind Ellison. Valpo will be able to run the ball.
21-20 Valpo

nwifbfan

Post by nwifbfan »

Merrillville wins this game by 10-14 points.

Valpo offense is run dominant which is Merrillville defensive strength.

Valpo defense is susceptible to the run which is Merrillville strength.

Valpo has excellent coaching though which is big reason why they are still winning with average talent.

DACfanatic

Post by DACfanatic »

From the Stands wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2024 3:29 am
DACfanatic wrote:
Jimbo23 wrote:
DAC Power Rankings
1. Crown Point 6-0 (4-0)
2. Valpo 4-2 (3-1)
5. Chesterton 4-2 (2-2)
7. Portage 2-4 (0-4)
8. LaPorte 0-6 (0-4)

DAC Week 7 Predictions
Crown Point 55 LaPorte 0

Last Week Predictions

I don’t know if the WRs are the issue. They had plenty of guys open that they just didn’t hit in recent games.
I would put Burda as the #2 back in the conference behind Ellison. Valpo will be able to run the ball.
21-20 Valpo

I mean if you go with rushing yards by a RB burda is 4th in DAC. And idk why you guys keep saying they will be able to run the ball? Merrillville has the best run defense in conference according to stats holding teams under 100 yards rushing.

1. Elision
2. Cameron Johnson
3. Chesterton back
4. Burda.
5. JQ Johnson.

At least on the stats’s

But I can tell you we have had a lot of WRs playing with injuries.

Chipped bone (but cleared to play.) he arm movement was limited because it was in his shoulder.

Another had a hamstring so he wasn’t playing offense only defense.

And then the best WR we had last year came into this year and probably has 15 dropped passes that are wide open. I think the passing game was finally starting to get on track. Just don’t see Valpo defense stopping the pirates at all, we will see in the game.

Dann Ellenwood

Post by Dann Ellenwood »

DACfanatic wrote:
Jimbo23 wrote:
DAC Power Rankings
1. Crown Point 6-0 (4-0)
2. Valpo 4-2 (3-1)
5. Chesterton 4-2 (2-2)
7. Portage 2-4 (0-4)
8. LaPorte 0-6 (0-4)

DAC Week 7 Predictions
Crown Point 55 LaPorte 0

Last Week Predictions

I did not see the Merrillville/CP game, only the final score. Did Merrillville force CP to be 1 dimensional?

Jimbo23

Post by Jimbo23 »

Dann Ellenwood wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2024 3:12 pm
DACfanatic wrote:
Jimbo23 wrote:
DAC Power Rankings
1. Crown Point 6-0 (4-0)
2. Valpo 4-2 (3-1)
5. Chesterton 4-2 (2-2)
7. Portage 2-4 (0-4)
8. LaPorte 0-6 (0-4)

DAC Week 7 Predictions
Crown Point 55 LaPorte 0

Last Week Predictions

I did not see the Merrillville/CP game, only the final score. Did Merrillville force CP to be 1 dimensional?
Only source I found said Ellison rushed for over 100 against Merrillville so I'm gonna go with... NO. Lol

Jimbo23

Post by Jimbo23 »

DACfanatic wrote:
Jimbo23 wrote:
DAC Power Rankings
1. Crown Point 6-0 (4-0)
2. Valpo 4-2 (3-1)
5. Chesterton 4-2 (2-2)
7. Portage 2-4 (0-4)
8. LaPorte 0-6 (0-4)

DAC Week 7 Predictions
Crown Point 55 LaPorte 0

Last Week Predictions

Feel free to disagree, we're not all here to think the same things. Everything "on paper" doesn't matter when it comes to football (or any sport for that matter) and homecoming matters even less. Shutting down Valpo's run game will be a key for the Pirates and it does play to their defensive strength (at least in every game except CP). Valpo is so undeniably well coached that for me to think/ believe Merrillville will beat them by multiple scores 1 of 2 things would need to happen; 1. Valpo is SOOOOOO talentless it's obvious (this has not proven to be true as of yet) or 2. Merrillville has to be SOOOOOOO talented that Valpo doesn't stand a chance (also has not been proven yet). Merrillville has not WOW'd me with ANY of their victories this season (best wins are vs the NCC and LaPorte). Valpo has had 1 result that made me scratch my head a little (Chesterton) but all the others are par for the course for the Vikings (who always find a way to compete with and/or beat Merrillville).

Jimbo's Keys to Valpo Victory
- Control the Line of Scrimmage
- Limit Big Plays
- Out Coach the Pirates

From the Stands

Post by From the Stands »

Jimbo23 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2024 5:01 pm
Dann Ellenwood wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2024 3:12 pm
DACfanatic wrote:

Only source I found said Ellison rushed for over 100 against Merrillville so I'm gonna go with... NO. Lol
stats.jpg
stats.jpg (251.29 KiB) Viewed 321 times