week 1 thoughts

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
Jimbo23

Re: week 1 thoughts

Post by Jimbo23 »

A lot to unpack here so I'll start at the top and work my way through...

Portage and Morton - Have heard Morton was without a few D-lineman, however, not sure HOW MUCH that would've helped given how Portage played in the 2nd half. Heard a KOR before the half for the Indians helped turn the tide as well. All 3 phases matter and Roy has Portage headed in the right direction in all phases on the field. Time will tell for the Govs but this was not a good start to what was supposed to be a promising season in Hessville.

Griffith and Highland - Heard all summer that Griffith was MUCH improved and going to have a solid year, and it appears they will. Highland has its work cut out for them but they are a young, inexperienced group (4-5 returning players with ANY varsity experience), and obviously coach Geffert will need to continue to improve the weight room culture there as well.

Penn and Valpo - Really wish I could've seen this one. Surprised that even with a really young defense that Valpo gave up this many points. But if you were doubting their offense I think they proved they'll be able to score points (unless Penn is gonna be really bad on defense? doubt that).

LC and Munster - Munster and Highland will be an interesting battle for the bridge to put it mildly. LC is going to have a hard time scoring points and controlling the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball in the DAC.

Andrean and Merrillville - Was "shocked" :roll: that Andrean and Merrillville were so closely matched given that someone (or 4 different someone's) on here have Merrillville penciled in as the 5A State Champs already. Heard Merrillville didn't play well and that Andrean made it difficult on them. Sounds to me like Andrean will be much improved from a year ago and Merrillville will be Merrillville, time will tell..

CP and Lowell - CP is really good. We'll learn a little more about Lowell this Friday...

Hobart and Chesterton - Hobart is going to struggle this year. They have a few winnable games on the schedule but they're lacking some talent in some key spots. Chesterton can find a way to win some games if they continue to run the ball like they did on Friday. Curious to see how Morton handles them and their size this Friday.

Hanover Central - They're going to have another nice regular season. I'm not sure I'm ready to deem them ready to make a postseason run. Beating New Prairie will not be an easy task. IF they can climb that hurdle, not sure how they'll be able to stack up in the Regional and Semi-State but... they'll need to beat the Cougars first.

Former Region Guy

Post by Former Region Guy »

BallinFreak wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:11 pm
Former Region Guy wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:00 pm
well Munster and Highland are worse than that so that's 2 wins. Hobarts over under is 2.5

Schreiber has 8 career wins. Its not like he's got a ton of head coaching experience. Boswell had a better 2 year run at West Side then he did, Just saying.
I dont see any way they only win 2 games this year. But I guess we will see.

you are technically correct in his win total, but I think that is selling him short. He is a pretty well known guy around the region and is for the most part a proven commodity from his family and experience.

And as it was pointed out Boswells run was aided by him too.
OK, so tell me how many wins and who those wins will be against? Convince me Hobart wins 4 games. Ready go

Its silly to think Boswells run was helped so much by what Eric did. We are talking about a coaching staff at Gary West Side. You really think Schreiber had a staff where they were developing non starting freshman and sophs? I bet non DAC schools have a max 4 coaches on their staffs that actually know football. Saying that Schreiber and his staff developed kids 2 years in advance is nuts.

Im curious to know, what is Schreibers best win of his career?

Jimbo23

Post by Jimbo23 »

Former Region Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 12:55 pm
BallinFreak wrote:
Former Region Guy wrote:
well Munster and Highland are worse than that so that's 2 wins. Hobarts over under is 2.5

Schreiber has 8 career wins. Its not like he's got a ton of head coaching experience. Boswell had a better 2 year run at West Side then he did, Just saying.

you are technically correct in his win total, but I think that is selling him short. He is a pretty well known guy around the region and is for the most part a proven commodity from his family and experience.

OK, so tell me how many wins and who those wins will be against? Convince me Hobart wins 4 games. Ready go

Im curious to know, what is Schreibers best win of his career?
To answer what I'll call question A (Hobart's win total this season), I would say their 4 "win-able" games (for the sake of argument/ good ole fun debate) are: Munster, Lowell, Highland, and Morton. Two of those are going to be difficult to win but they are (probably) "win-able" by definition. If you told me "no way they beat Morton," I wouldn't fight back much, if at all.

Question B (Coach Schreiber's best win) led me on a rather disheartening search because I was REALLY trying to support Coach Schreiber's West Side story (see what I did there? Lol) BUT... it appears his best win was against a 2-8 West Central team in 2021 OR a 2-8 Hammond Central team in that same season...

scarab527

Post by scarab527 »

Former Region Guy wrote:
BallinFreak wrote:
Former Region Guy wrote:

It’s silly to think Boswells run was helped so much by what Eric did. We are talking about a coaching staff at Gary West Side. You really think Schreiber had a staff where they were developing non starting freshman and sophs? I bet non DAC schools have a max 4 coaches on their staffs that actually know football. Saying that Schreiber and his staff developed kids 2 years in advance is nuts.
Really dumb comment that shows you’re talking out of your ass. All the best players from Boswell’s tenure were developed by Schreiber LMAO.

And I guarantee most coaches at non-DAC schools know more about football than you lmao.

TROJANMAN7

Post by TROJANMAN7 »

Jimbo23 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:36 pm

Portage and Morton - Have heard Morton was without a few D-lineman, however, not sure HOW MUCH that would've helped given how Portage played in the 2nd half. Heard a KOR before the half for the Indians helped turn the tide as well. All 3 phases matter and Roy has Portage headed in the right direction in all phases on the field. Time will tell for the Govs but this was not a good start to what was supposed to be a promising season in Hessville.

Griffith and Highland - Heard all summer that Griffith was MUCH improved and going to have a solid year, and it appears they will. Highland has its work cut out for them but they are a young, inexperienced group (4-5 returning players with ANY varsity experience), and obviously coach Geffert will need to continue to improve the weight room culture there as well.

Penn and Valpo - Really wish I could've seen this one. Surprised that even with a really young defense that Valpo gave up this many points. But if you were doubting their offense I think they proved they'll be able to score points (unless Penn is gonna be really bad on defense? doubt that).

LC and Munster - Munster and Highland will be an interesting battle for the bridge to put it mildly. LC is going to have a hard time scoring points and controlling the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball in the DAC.

Andrean and Merrillville - Was "shocked" :roll: that Andrean and Merrillville were so closely matched given that someone (or 4 different someone's) on here have Merrillville penciled in as the 5A State Champs already. Heard Merrillville didn't play well and that Andrean made it difficult on them. Sounds to me like Andrean will be much improved from a year ago and Merrillville will be Merrillville, time will tell..

CP and Lowell - CP is really good. We'll learn a little more about Lowell this Friday...

Hobart and Chesterton - Hobart is going to struggle this year. They have a few winnable games on the schedule but they're lacking some talent in some key spots. Chesterton can find a way to win some games if they continue to run the ball like they did on Friday. Curious to see how Morton handles them and their size this Friday.

Hanover Central - They're going to have another nice regular season. I'm not sure I'm ready to deem them ready to make a postseason run. Beating New Prairie will not be an easy task. IF they can climb that hurdle, not sure how they'll be able to stack up in the Regional and Semi-State but... they'll need to beat the Cougars first.

Merrillville- I know there new QBs father very well, we coached pop warner together for a few years! According to him his son threw a great game. But there star WR John peters had 6 dropped passes that supposedly hit him in the chest. Heard from a few people merrillville left 20+ off board being stood up at the 1 3 times. And the QB with the dropped passes would have been over 300 yards. Time will tell.

Chesterton- we are looking forward to the test with Hammond. We are not the same team from last year. We are going to win our 1st sectional title this year

Jimbo23

Post by Jimbo23 »

TROJANMAN7 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:26 pm
Jimbo23 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:36 pm

Merrillville- I know there new QBs father very well, we coached pop warner together for a few years! According to him his son threw a great game. But there star WR John peters had 6 dropped passes that supposedly hit him in the chest. Heard from a few people merrillville left 20+ off board being stood up at the 1 3 times. And the QB with the dropped passes would have been over 300 yards. Time will tell.

Chesterton- we are looking forward to the test with Hammond. We are not the same team from last year. We are going to win our 1st sectional title this year
Sounds like week 1 things happened to Merrillville. I assume they'll get that cleaned up and improve from now until playoff time. Still will need to "see it to believe it" when it comes to their pre/ early season postseason hype.

Happy to hear the confidence oozing out of the Chesterton faithful. Winning a Sectional that includes Valpo will be a daunting task but if Chesterton can find a way to control the line of scrimmage in their inevitable playoff rematch, I like their chances. But for now, as of 9:44 A.M. CST on 8/28, I'll still call Valpo the Sectional 10 favorite. Hope the Trojans prove me wrong (for your sake) and have themselves a helluva season. Best of luck...

Jimbo23

Post by Jimbo23 »

scarab527 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:03 pm
Former Region Guy wrote:
BallinFreak wrote:

It’s silly to think Boswells run was helped so much by what Eric did. We are talking about a coaching staff at Gary West Side. You really think Schreiber had a staff where they were developing non starting freshman and sophs? I bet non DAC schools have a max 4 coaches on their staffs that actually know football. Saying that Schreiber and his staff developed kids 2 years in advance is nuts.
Really dumb comment that shows you’re talking out of your ass. All the best players from Boswell’s tenure were developed by Schreiber LMAO.

And I guarantee most coaches at non-DAC schools know more about football than you lmao.
Statement 1 = Fact. Schreiber developed a lot of players from 2020-2021 and worked hard at doing so. Did he develop EVERYONE that played/ is playing for Coach Boz, probably not, BUT he did develop MOST of them (some of whom left for Merrillville). Schreiber deserves/ earned that credit.

Statement 2 = Big Fact. Lol I mean, I don't know WHO Former Region Guy is as far as their government name is concerned but I do know a lot of non-DAC coaches who are quality football coaches and are quite intelligent when it comes to the game of football.

BallinFreak

Post by BallinFreak »

Schreiber must have stolen region guys girlfriend at some point.

I am not saying Hobart is going to be a power this year. Saying they get more than 2 wins is not that high of a standard. I say 4 wins is probably a solid prediction.

Jimbo23

Post by Jimbo23 »

BallinFreak wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 3:01 pm
Schreiber must have stolen region guys girlfriend at some point.

I am not saying Hobart is going to be a power this year. Saying they get more than 2 wins is not that high of a standard. I say 4 wins is probably a solid prediction.
LMAO and... I think that's fair. Ceiling for them is probably 5-4/6-3 and the floor is probably 2-7/ 3-6.

BallinFreak

Post by BallinFreak »

I love the confidence of Trojan. Go get that sectional. Lets get some valpo and chesterton drama going on around here!

(no way chesterton wins that sectional)