week 1 thoughts

Join the discussion on all the major topics in Region football!
scarab527

Re: week 1 thoughts

Post by scarab527 »

Jimbo23 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:43 pm
TROJANMAN7 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:26 pm
Jimbo23 wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:36 pm
A lot to unpack here so I'll start at the top and work my way through...

Portage and Morton - Have heard Morton was without a few D-lineman, however, not sure HOW MUCH that would've helped given how Portage played in the 2nd half. Heard a KOR before the half for the Indians helped turn the tide as well. All 3 phases matter and Roy has Portage headed in the right direction in all phases on the field. Time will tell for the Govs but this was not a good start to what was supposed to be a promising season in Hessville.

Griffith and Highland - Heard all summer that Griffith was MUCH improved and going to have a solid year, and it appears they will. Highland has its work cut out for them but they are a young, inexperienced group (4-5 returning players with ANY varsity experience), and obviously coach Geffert will need to continue to improve the weight room culture there as well.

Penn and Valpo - Really wish I could've seen this one. Surprised that even with a really young defense that Valpo gave up this many points. But if you were doubting their offense I think they proved they'll be able to score points (unless Penn is gonna be really bad on defense? doubt that).

LC and Munster - Munster and Highland will be an interesting battle for the bridge to put it mildly. LC is going to have a hard time scoring points and controlling the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball in the DAC.

Andrean and Merrillville - Was "shocked" :roll: that Andrean and Merrillville were so closely matched given that someone (or 4 different someone's) on here have Merrillville penciled in as the 5A State Champs already. Heard Merrillville didn't play well and that Andrean made it difficult on them. Sounds to me like Andrean will be much improved from a year ago and Merrillville will be Merrillville, time will tell..

CP and Lowell - CP is really good. We'll learn a little more about Lowell this Friday...

Hobart and Chesterton - Hobart is going to struggle this year. They have a few winnable games on the schedule but they're lacking some talent in some key spots. Chesterton can find a way to win some games if they continue to run the ball like they did on Friday. Curious to see how Morton handles them and their size this Friday.

Hanover Central - They're going to have another nice regular season. I'm not sure I'm ready to deem them ready to make a postseason run. Beating New Prairie will not be an easy task. IF they can climb that hurdle, not sure how they'll be able to stack up in the Regional and Semi-State but... they'll need to beat the Cougars first.

Merrillville- I know there new QBs father very well, we coached pop warner together for a few years! According to him his son threw a great game. But there star WR John peters had 6 dropped passes that supposedly hit him in the chest. Heard from a few people merrillville left 20+ off board being stood up at the 1 3 times. And the QB with the dropped passes would have been over 300 yards. Time will tell.

Chesterton- we are looking forward to the test with Hammond. We are not the same team from last year. We are going to win our 1st sectional title this year
Sounds like week 1 things happened to Merrillville. I assume they'll get that cleaned up and improve from now until playoff time. Still will need to "see it to believe it" when it comes to their pre/ early season postseason hype.

Happy to hear the confidence oozing out of the Chesterton faithful. Winning a Sectional that includes Valpo will be a daunting task but if Chesterton can find a way to control the line of scrimmage in their inevitable playoff rematch, I like their chances. But for now, as of 9:44 A.M. CST on 8/28, I'll still call Valpo the Sectional 10 favorite. Hope the Trojans prove me wrong (for your sake) and have themselves a helluva season. Best of luck...
Look at how he can’t use their/there/they’re correctly…it’s Parkhurst lmaoooo. Even using the same talking points as Parkhurst. Good lord the kids pathetic. Please for the love of god get a job.

And it wasn’t John Peters who dropped those balls, kid barely if at all played offense lol.

Former Region Guy

Post by Former Region Guy »

Jimbo23 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:49 pm
scarab527 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:03 pm
Former Region Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 12:55 pm

It’s silly to think Boswells run was helped so much by what Eric did. We are talking about a coaching staff at Gary West Side. You really think Schreiber had a staff where they were developing non starting freshman and sophs? I bet non DAC schools have a max 4 coaches on their staffs that actually know football. Saying that Schreiber and his staff developed kids 2 years in advance is nuts.
Really dumb comment that shows you’re talking out of your ass. All the best players from Boswell’s tenure were developed by Schreiber LMAO.

And I guarantee most coaches at non-DAC schools know more about football than you lmao.
Statement 1 = Fact. Schreiber developed a lot of players from 2020-2021 and worked hard at doing so. Did he develop EVERYONE that played/ is playing for Coach Boz, probably not, BUT he did develop MOST of them (some of whom left for Merrillville). Schreiber deserves/ earned that credit.

Statement 2 = Big Fact. Lol I mean, I don't know WHO Former Region Guy is as far as their government name is concerned but I do know a lot of non-DAC coaches who are quality football coaches and are quite intelligent when it comes to the game of football.
NO, I said NON DAC coaching staffs have a max of 4 coaches on each staff worth anything. Very hard to develop talent when that's the case. You think Gary West Side, East Chicago, Morton, Bishop Noll, Calumet and Central have:

1. Teachers in the building that want to coach and know football

2. Lay Coaches that can be there on time and actually know football and want to coach at those schools.

Boswell had 2 1000 yard rushers last season, 1 player had 6 carries for Schreiber. The other kid wasn't on his roster. The back up QB for Schreiber's last season at West Side finished his career at Merrillville.

scarab527

Post by scarab527 »

Former Region Guy wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 4:01 pm
Jimbo23 wrote:
scarab527 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 2:03 pm

Really dumb comment that shows you’re talking out of your ass. All the best players from Boswell’s tenure were developed by Schreiber LMAO.

And I guarantee most coaches at non-DAC schools know more about football than you lmao.
Statement 1 = Fact. Schreiber developed a lot of players from 2020-2021 and worked hard at doing so. Did he develop EVERYONE that played/ is playing for Coach Boz, probably not, BUT he did develop MOST of them (some of whom left for Merrillville). Schreiber deserves/ earned that credit.

Statement 2 = Big Fact. Lol I mean, I don't know WHO Former Region Guy is as far as their government name is concerned but I do know a lot of non-DAC coaches who are quality football coaches and are quite intelligent when it comes to the game of football.
NO, I said NON DAC coaching staffs have a max of 4 coaches on each staff worth anything. Very hard to develop talent when that's the case. You think Gary West Side, East Chicago, Morton, Bishop Noll, Calumet and Central have:

2. Lay Coaches that can be there on time and actually know football and want to coach at those schools.

Boswell had 2 1000 yard rushers last season, 1 player had 6 carries for Schreiber. The other kid wasn't on his roster. The back up QB for Schreiber's last season at West Side finished his career at Merrillville.
Giuseppe Moore was on the West Side roster lol. And Dontae Pope was the starter. Reinforcing the fact that you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about.

nwifbfan

Post by nwifbfan »

Back to original topic, Week 1 results:

I wasn’t really surprised by any of the results with one exception; Portage handling Morton with ease. I don’t know if I was feeding into Morton hype or underestimating Roy and Portage but the score did surprise me. Good for Portage and Roy on a great start. Morton has the skill players but not the offensive line. Big problem.

I think we will all get a better feel on teams and conferences after Week 2 but some thoughts:

DAC is a 3 horse race with CP, Merrillville and Valpo. Some could argue it’s a battle for 2nd with CP the clear with favorite. Merrillville loaded with talent and speed. Valpo has great coaching and huge up front on offense. Need to fix defense though.

NCC is between HC, Andrean and KV. Most probably have HC but I’m not sold yet. Andrean, although scoreless vs Merrillville, is much improved and young and will keep getting better. Lastly, don’t count out KV. Thus program is on the rise. They handled a solid RC squad.

As far as other conferences, I’m sorry but just don’t know enough yet. Wheeler looked good offensively vs HC, Morton should improve.

RAZORBACK

Post by RAZORBACK »

A few things that surprised me from week one.

The score of the Griffith and Highland game was shocking to me. I know Highland is an inexperienced team coming back and Griffith returned some key players from last season but I was not expecting a margin of victory as wide of what happened.

Wheeler vs Hanover was a competitive first half it seemed looking at some game updates. I believe it was 14-14 at the end of the first quarter. I still believe Hanover will win the NCC this year. Wheeler will have a good offense with a scrappy defense. They have a solid qb with other returning skill guys that will win them the GSSC.

Morton vs portage. Portage winning wasn’t a shocker to me since the game was close last season but the margin of victory was surprising. I did see portage score with one minute left so it was kind of like a 34-17 game. Roy has that defense playing fast and physical. The scheme of the portage defense will give teams headaches this season. Back to Morton real quick did someone here say they were down a defensive lineman, because I heard the same thing about a shoulder injury. I also heard portage was missing their number one wide out. Morton should bounce back but they do have a tough opening to their schedule.

Lastly anyone see the valpo vs Penn game? The stat line by the Penn quarterback was insane.

nwifbfan

Post by nwifbfan »

Penn - Valpo game - I was actually surprised by score but not the outcome. Stating the obvious, there was just poor defense for both sides and some really good offensive plays and players on both sides.

Penn qb is very fast and kept breaking off long runs. He’s adequate as a passer but really dangerous as a runner. Valpo is replacing a lot of guys on defense. They kept taking wrong angles and losing contain all night. Secondary needs to improve.

Valpo offense is very good. They are big as usual up front, RB is hard downhill runner. He is a really good player. The qb is composed and has a strong arm and throws to some talented wr’s. One looks tall on film and the other is shorter and both have speed. The qb has more skill than the guy they had last year. He tends to throw high when throwing hard.

It seemed like Penn scored at will and on long explosive plays whereas Valpo drove the field more on their possessions. Penn’s defense didn’t have any time to rest.

Two really good offenses vs defenses that need alot of work. Valpo will face better competition the rest of the season and thus will help them defensively. Penn does not have that luxury, their schedule falls off and it will be hard to see how much they improve vs lower quality offenses.

Former Region Guy

Post by Former Region Guy »

scarab527 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 4:15 pm
Former Region Guy wrote:
Jimbo23 wrote:

Giuseppe Moore was on the West Side roster lol. And Dontae Pope was the starter. Reinforcing the fact that you don’t have a clue what you’re talking about.
ahh yes, Moore was a freshman that didn't play, but Im sure Schreiber was all in on his development. But Pope was West Sides QB when Schreiber was there and left for Merrillville, Meaning Boswell didn't reap the benefits of his QB being coached by Schreiber.

Jimbo23

Post by Jimbo23 »

nwifbfan wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2024 5:12 pm
Back to original topic, Week 1 results:

I wasn’t really surprised by any of the results with one exception; Portage handling Morton with ease. I don’t know if I was feeding into Morton hype or underestimating Roy and Portage but the score did surprise me. Good for Portage and Roy on a great start. Morton has the skill players but not the offensive line. Big problem.

I think we will all get a better feel on teams and conferences after Week 2 but some thoughts:

DAC is a 3 horse race with CP, Merrillville and Valpo. Some could argue it’s a battle for 2nd with CP the clear with favorite. Merrillville loaded with talent and speed. Valpo has great coaching and huge up front on offense. Need to fix defense though.

NCC is between HC, Andrean and KV. Most probably have HC but I’m not sold yet. Andrean, although scoreless vs Merrillville, is much improved and young and will keep getting better. Lastly, don’t count out KV. Thus program is on the rise. They handled a solid RC squad.

As far as other conferences, I’m sorry but just don’t know enough yet. Wheeler looked good offensively vs HC, Morton should improve.
Portage-Morton: Totally agree that the result was most shocking. For me, it was more buying into the Morton hype that "surprised me" with this result. Hope my Govs can right the ship this week and moving forward.

Totally agree with your DAC 3 horse race. Chesterton COULD make some noise but doubtful.

Andrean is going to be much improved for sure. KV seems to be pretty well improved. Excited to see how Hanover and those teams match up this year.

Jimbo's GSSC prediction: Week 9 - Griffith vs Wheeler will be for the GSSC title. Wheeler will have to take care of River Forest first next week (same for Griffith in week 5). The Ingots were a pleasant surprise the two times I've seen them from June - August. Griffith is much improved from a year ago. Part of the reason they gave Highland a beat down, along with the reasoning Razorback mentioned as well.

Valpo/ Penn was only so surprising to me based on the Over/Under point total being absolutely annihalted in that game.

scarab527

Post by scarab527 »

Former Region Guy wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2024 12:46 pm
scarab527 wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 4:15 pm
Former Region Guy wrote:

ahh yes, Moore was a freshman that didn't play, but Im sure Schreiber was all in on his development. But Pope was West Sides QB when Schreiber was there and left for Merrillville, Meaning Boswell didn't reap the benefits of his QB being coached by Schreiber.
Yeah, he just got to reap the benefits of all his other good players being developed by Schreiber, lmao.

paintballer

Post by paintballer »

If you did not watch the Morton Portage game last year then this years would be a lot more surprising.

Portage dominated Morton last year as well but the second half they finished their drives instead of having two defensive touchdowns by Morton completely flip the script. 32-23 minus 14 for Morton and plus 14 for Portage is 37-18. Virtually the same game with two plays that made a drastic difference.

Morton had over 300 yards rushing last year and the same happened this year. Defensively they stuffed Morton this year but gave up one play TDs and the same thing occurred last year. All 3 of Mortons TDs last year came on fades to Lebron or their other WR who graduated.